Monday, April 13, 2009

Conversations with an Almost-4-Year-Old

I had a really good conversation with Sunshine today.
Just after 8pm I went downstairs where the kids had been watching Blues Clues.. (I know, I'm such a good mom, letting Blue and Steve or Joe babysit my babies.. and borrowing more videos from the library than books. You can chastise me later.. or maybe this makes up for it a little bit.)

So anyway.

Sunshine was mad because it was bedtime and he wanted to watch Blue. He complained all the way upstairs, while his younger sibling Tank was happy as a clam. By the way, it makes no sense to me why a 2-year-old would be any happier about going to bed than an almost 4-year-old.. but.. whatever. I don't make the rules. Well.. actually I do.. but not those rules. Those rules are made by 2-year-olds and almost-4-year-olds.. and I used to be them.. but I'm not now.. so I'm sure the rules have changed.

So. Anyway.

Sunshine was complaining that he didn't want to go to bed.. moping all the way to his room. Once he finished going potty he climbed into bed and said..

"I don't want to talk about God."

"What?"

"I don't want to talk about God," he repeated.

"Why not?"

"I want God to leave my heart."

I finished tucking Tank in and went over to Sunshine's bed and sat down. "Now why would you want that?"

"So He can't see me anymore."

"Oh, well.. God will see you no matter where He is."

"He will?"

"Yup."

"Why?" 'Why' has been the question word of the day today. I'm guessing it will continue to be the question word of the day for a long time. But at least this time I had a decent answer for it.

"Because God loves you."

"He does?"

"Yup. You know how I love you very very much?"

"Uh huh."

"Well, God loves you even more."

"Why?"

"Because He made you!"

"He did?!" Sunshine's face lit up and he smiled. His whole mood changed.

"Yes He did!"

"Jesus loves me too!"

"Yes!" I agreed.

"But Judas is a bad guy and he's going to get me." We talked a little bit about how Jesus died last week.. reading out of our kids storybook bible. One of the stories was about how Judas betrayed Jesus. So now Sunshine is talking a lot about how Judas is a bad guy.

And I said, "No, he's not. Judas can't get you."

"Why not?"

"Because God's in your heart. And God protects you."

"Oh. And Jesus protects me too!"

"That's right!"

"I love you Mom." ... *heart melts*

"I love you too, Sunshine. Night night."

"Goodnight Mom!"

No comments: